If you want to install A4980 Softphone 3.727.31 under Windows 8, the MSI file says it requires .Net Framework 2.0.
Basically, this is no problem, you can install .Net Framework 3.5 with 2.0 via “Add / Remove Windows features”. It accesses Windows Update online and downloads the neccessary files.
So what if you don’t have internet access on this machine, or if it is in a Windows AD domain environment with internal WSUS server? You may get error 0x800F0906.
There are several ways to enable .Net 3.5 / 2.0 in Windows 8. For WSUS to generally work with Win8, you also need an update on the WSUS server.
Have a look at these links:
.Net 3.5 Framework under Windows 8 (German)
.Net 4.5 and 3.4 under Windows 8
If A4980 Softphone is the only software in your environment which requires .Net 2.0, the possibly easier way is to modify the MSI file to work with .Net 4.0 / 4.5.
- Download Orca, e.g. from here.
- Open the MSI file with it (better copy it before to have a backup).
- In the left area, look for “LaunchCondition”
- Delete the entry which contains .Net 2.0.
- Install A4980 and it should run under .Net 4.0 / 4.5 without problems.