Last Updated on 2013-03-20.
If you own anything that is worth to track, e.g. a new car which could be stolen, there are some ways to do that.
The simplest, but also expensive way is to register at a GPS locating site where you also get your tracking hardware. You could also buy the hardware yourself, but these items are not cheap basically.
So here is my workaround:
- Get an old Symbian or Android mobile which has built-in GPS and maybe 3G/UMTS support. You can get such phones used under 50 € at ebay or similar sites. We use them as the tracking device.
- Register at http://phonelocator.mobi. It is completely free and you do not have to enter any sensitive data.
- If you don’t have a SIM card for your device, get a cheap (or free) one with a good data flatrate. If you are Austrian, have a look at provider drei which offers 20 MB data per day for free.
- Insert the SIM card in your tracking phone and get the free Phonelocator app from the store.
- Log in with the data you registered before. Also set Autostart to On if you want to.
- Do a test update in the app. The GPS or cell data should be transferred to the Phonelocator website.
- Find a good place in your car etc. where you get a good GPS signal.
- You are ready to track.